Louisiana: On our way to New Orleans

I’ve been to New Orleans once before, but we have never been to Louisiana with the RV. Time to rectify that!

Before we left Brownsville

We planned on leaving Saturday morning. In the week prior to our departure, SpaceX “double stacked” the booster and the starship. Rumors were that SpaceX was planning to uncouple the double stack on Sunday, so we got up super early on Saturday morning to head to Boca Chica Beach.

It was close, but we made it for sunrise.

Sunrise with the waves on the beach.
The “double stack” of the starship and the booster.
Sunrise with the Jeep on the beach.

It was worth it! Bob got some video of the double stack in a time lapse with sunrise colors.

We left after an hour, and headed back to get the RV ready to move. I also wanted to attend my grandmother’s memorial service, which was being broadcast online for those of us who couldn’t attend in person.

Ouch – lack of planning and running late meant we paid a premium for our diesel gas on the way out of town.

I wish we had planned a little bit better, but we wanted to top off our diesel tank before we got too far. We’ll remember in the future that this particular truck stop is super expensive. In comparison, if we had stopped at the Love’s truck stop near the Brownsville RV park we’re staying at, the diesel price was $5.03.

Arrival in Wharton

This RV park was a very nice (mostly) quiet park. It is west of Houston, and a couple of miles off the main highway (Highway 59). The RV spaces are spacious and large, and the RV park was well laid out. It turns out that the same company that owns this RV park is the same owner that purchased the RV park we are staying at in Brownsville, so a good preview of things to come.

The spacious pull through RV site.

As you can see from the photo, the site is spacious. It goes from the light concrete strip on the driver’s side to the skinny light concrete strip on the left side of the photo. This type of site is meant to allow RVers to have a social area and a place to park their tow vehicles. We never unhooked our Jeep, because we didn’t plan to go anywhere in the evening. We wanted to get an early start to Louisiana.

Arriving in Louisiana

Once again, we got up early, but it was to make sure we could be on the road by 9 a.m.

Sunrise in Wharton.

We were very efficient at getting ready, and managed to leave at about 8:30 a.m. That gave us quite a bit of leeway in going as fast or as slow as we needed to on the way to Louisiana.

We made the decision to take the Sam Houston Tollway around Houston. This is not a cheap decision, but it honestly made the drive very smooth and relaxing. As soon as we got onto Interstate 10 heading east to Louisiana, it was stressful – very different from the tollway.

This is the last exit on the Texas side of Interstate 10.
Heading towards the Louisiana State Line (it’s at the top of this climb).
Made it to Louisiana! Unfortunately, our windshield was super dirty from all the bugs it squished on the way.

Once we made it into Louisiana, we had another hour or so to go. Our first stop was another truck stop to top off the fuel tank.

Ouch – diesel gas prices are comparable at this truck stop to the Houston prices.

Our RV was thirsty, so it was an expensive fill up. But we are ready to head back home when it is time to leave, and if the gas prices have gone up in the meantime, we don’t have to deal with it.

This is a 3/4 tank fill up. Our diesel gas tank is approximately 110 gallons.

Home sweet home

Here’s our RV home for the next two weeks.

Our RV space from the front.
Our RV space from the back, with our Starlink dish set up.

What’s next?

On Friday, we head to New Orleans in the Jeep to attend the LavaCon Content Strategy Conference. Looking forward to capturing more and better photos of the Krewe of Boo Halloween parade from the hotel balcony.

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.