I know, it’s been a while since I last posted. We have been downsizing a 10×25 storage room into a 5×10 storage room. This is not an easy process, and pretty much meant that every single night we were so tired and exhausted that we fell asleep long before 10 p.m.
Our days pretty much consisted of this:
- Arrive at storage room.
- Set up 10×10 pavilion outside storage room.
- Move out stuff that was at front of storage room.
- Open boxes and sort into three piles: trash, donate, or keep.
- Move “keep” boxes to the smaller storage room.
- Deal with trash (put in back of room) and donate piles. For the donate boxes, we rented Uhaul vehicles for two days and delivered 5 loads.
- Move in stuff to front of storage room.
- Close up storage room.
We didn’t get a picture of the room when we first started, but this is from about halfway.
We arranged through my personal Facebook timeline for pickup of some items. Some friends, who were picking up other items, also generously took our box recycling. We found it might be hard to just drive up and drop off as we had done while dry camping. Most of the Phoenix area landfills require a local utility bill or proof of residence. We probably had about a 6′ high stack of Uhaul and other boxes.
It was extremely painful to let go of some of these items. But I felt a lot better when we could connect the items to someone who could actually use them.
There were several times I stopped for a few moments and posted a memory of another time/place.
The final 48 hours
As we got closer to the end, I took more photos, so I could visibly see our progress.
Our biggest goal was to clear the shelves, so a local friend could pick them up and haul them away to their own garage.
And this is what our storage room looked like after we were done.
And now everything we decided to keep is in a 5×10 storage room.
How we managed to cram everything in to a 5×10 storage room: very carefully! 🙂
- Use the black and yellow plastic storage boxes from Home Depot, specifically the 12 gallon and 17 gallon boxes.
- Leave bulky doesn’t fit into a box items for last and put them in the front.
The post photo is of our rain delay day – the Phoenix area received an Oregon like rain. It pretty much ensured we could not work on our storage room.