Chase the Blue Dot

Arizona: Generator update

There really hasn’t been much to say over the last few days, as we waited for our appointment with Cummins Onan in Las Vegas. We hunkered down in our RV and just tried to survive the heat. Las Vegas in the summer is not the place to be if you don’t have enough A/C. We know from personal experience (two summers in Phoenix) that we must have our portable A/C unit if it goes above 105 degrees. Las Vegas was between 107 – 109 degrees for the last 4 days. Frankly, it was miserable.

Our appointment

Our appointment was scheduled for 7 a.m. today. We arrived (due to traffic and road construction) at 7:05 a.m., and they had already taken another RV/truck back when we didn’t arrive on time. After we filled out paperwork and settled ourselves in their RV customer lounge, they took our RV back at 8 a.m. They had our authorization to do 3 hours of diagnostics.

At 9 a.m., they came back and said that their initial assessment showed that the leads on the brand new inverter were installed incorrectly. They were going to open things up a bit more (they were trying to not have to take our generator out, because it is not easy to do so), verify it was the leads, and see if that fixed the problem.

Nope. At 10 a.m., they came in and advised that yes, the leads were installed incorrectly, so they fixed that issue, but it was still giving error codes. More exploration needed. At this point, we had one hour left of diagnostic time.

By 11 a.m., we had been advised that our stator needs to be replaced.

What comes next

Clearly, we wanted to get out of Las Vegas, and we have a schedule we are trying to keep to for upcoming events, so this is what we decided:

  • They were going to close things up, and get our motorhome ready to go.
  • They were going to write up a detailed description of the diagnostics they did and what they fixed for our motorhome and attach it to our account.
  • They were going to provide information on their Albuquerque location for the stator repair. We won’t need to do another diagnostic.
  • We are going to make an appointment in Albuquerque to have the repair done.
  • The Albuquerque location is going to work with our extended warranty, especially if replacing the stator does not fix the issue.

This way, we keep to our schedule. We’ll be in the Phoenix area from August 30 to September 5, then we head to New Mexico. Once we’re in New Mexico, we’ll arrange our appointment, as we’ll be there until at least the end of October.

The drive from Las Vegas to Kingman

We initially were headed for Flagstaff, as it is about 30 degrees cooler than Las Vegas. By the time we made it to Henderson from (way north) Las Vegas, we had determined that there was no way we could subject our cats to 2 extra hours in the RV. One of the problems with not having a running generator is that we could not run A/C in the RV while driving. That meant that we were somewhat comfortable (there are fans aimed at the seats) in the front of the RV, it was sweltering hot in the rest of the RV. We called up the KOA in Kingman, and they were able to get us in for one night. We drove in, hooked up our electricity, and got the A/C started. We made sure the cats were getting enough water, as they basically looked like feline puddles on the floor.

We’ll pull out of the RV park first thing in the morning, and get started on our way to the Phoenix area. We will be picking our portable A/C unit from our storage room, which is about 4 blocks from the RV park we’re in. Thankfully, we won’t be sweltering while in Phoenix.  🙂

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll Up
%d bloggers like this: